Question
Posted by: Cathy | 2010/11/02

Spotting?

Dr could you please explain why I sometimes spot a few days before my period is supposed to start. I always though that it could be due to progesterone deficiancy, but I have actually spotted while on cyclogest or utrogestan. It does not happen every month, although I have had it for the past few months now...

Dear Cathy

The intermitted stopping prior to the actual menstrual flow may be indicative of a number of possible pathologies. In essence it may be due to irregular and erratic shedding of a part of the endometrium (lining of the womb), which may be secondary to some form of anatomical disturbance of the lining due to fibroids or adenomyomas (endometriosis of the muscle of the womb). In other cases it may be indicative of some form of obstruction either due to a tight cervix or due positional changes in the womb (uterus) as in acute retroversion. A thorough gynaecological evaluation is important to rule out or confirm any abnormal findings.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/11/09

Dear Cathy

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert