Posted by: lizzy | 2009-11-29

Hi Doc,

I have a cycle of 32 days, had my periods on the 4th of this month. To my suprise I have spotted on day 24 of my cycle in the morning, as usual, I thought i was going to see my periods the next day or maybe later during that day but nothing came, all i see now is a heavy, creamy and whitish discharge that smells like uncooked eggs. I ovulated on the 22 of this month and my periods are due in a week time. Could you please advise on this situation.

Dear Lizzy

The likelihood of an implantation bleed should be considered, as this is the very first sign of a pregnancy in progress. This usually occurs 7 days after ovulation and presents as simple spotting. However there are many other causes of mid-cycle bleeding or mid-luteal bleeding this includes hormonal imbalances as well as infections. I would recommend that you wait for your next period to come on and if it is delayed do a pregnancy test. If the pregnancy test is negative visit your gynaecologist immediately.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim