Posted by: Gillian | 2009-10-16

Hi Doctor, Thanks for your help.
Last cycle, I started spotting about 7 days before being due for my period. I continued to bleed, (including clots of tissue that i normally get during a period) for 12 days (i.e. 5 days into my period time). I am taking an oral contraceptive. I' m paranoid about falling pregnant and worry when anything in my body changes. Could such bleeding occur if I was pregnant?

thanks. Gill

Yes, it can occur. You should consult a gynaecologist for a full examination and re-evaluation of your oral contraceptive. A stronger dose of estrogen combination medication can alleviate your problem or you can ask your gynaecologist to insert the Mirena device. The Mirena device is very effective to prevent pregnancy.