Posted by: Anon | 2009-07-10

hi there. i am 25 years old and have been on minesse for the last year. For the past month i have been spotting/bleeding lightly. My doc says this is common with low dose pills. He says the endometrium builds up because it is low dose and because it only has a 4 day inactive period. I started taking the inactive pills this sunday, and was supposed to start the 1st active pill in a new pack yesterday - however i didnt because, i want to extend this inactive period so i can "  bleed off"  whatever endometruim is left (i have always had very heavy periods, so this makes sense to me) - i want to resume my pill on coming sunday - how will this affect protection against pregnancy? Should i stick to condoms as backup for a month or so? Thanks

You will not be protected for about a month, so rather use condoms as backup.