Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/06/04

Spotting

Hi. I went for progesterone bloodtest on cd21 and the result was 21 and my dr said that it means that i did ovulate. My question is, is spotting 2 days before menstruation normal or is there cause for concern cause i did have cysts but my gynae said it is gone but i still spot every month and it is brownish. Thanx.

Dear Anonymous

Spotting prior to the onset of menses is normal in many cases but also signify early endometriosis or adenomyosis. Occasionally implantation bleeding can occur but this is usually 7 or 8 days after ovulation and approximately 4 to 5 days prior to menstruation.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim