Posted by: Judy | 2009-04-21

Spots of blood

I have been on the pill for 3 years now, im 20 &  have a very healthy sex life, we do however use condoms as extra protection. Since im on the pill, i always get my period on Wednesdays or latest Thursday morning. On my pill pack im going to get it tomorrow or Thursday as i said latest. But yesterday when i went to the loo, there was like spots of blood, nothing major but i though something must be weird coz it just bled for a while &  stopped. But this morning again i spotted little spots of blood. Is this anything bad?

The ‘period’ you see when you are on the pill usually starts 2 – 3 days after you start the non-hormonal pills. This is caused by a drop in your hormone levels. It is quite common for there to be occasional irregularities as the levels are linked to various other factors. As long as the bleeding is only during the non-hormonal pill section of the pack all is well. It is good that you are using double protection. If you are worried, check this out with your medical service provider.
Expert opinions are provided by the SA Sexual Health Association: