Posted by: PS | 2009-08-17

I am an African lady with a very light skin, my problem is that i have brown spots mostly on my face, and less in some parts of my body and i been using Neostrata lightining gel and SPF 30 sun protection for my face for the full two months. I dont see any changes instead my face is now more light, and there are no changes on the spots. actually I think they are now more dark brown. What can i use to get rid of the spots? What is Laser treatment? How much does it cost?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi PS, thank you for the question and my apologies for the long delay with my response but I was away presenting a talk for Longevity magazine.

Your best option would be to consult a dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner who can examine the skin and give you the appropriate diagnosis and advise you on the best treatment options. From your description it seems that the dark spots may be due to pigmentation which if they are not responding to the topical regime you have described one may need to consider skin rejuvenation technology for the pigmentation removal. My advice is to consider the Syneron eMax or eLight as they are safe to use in all skin types as long as one chooses the correct settings. Prices for these treatments vary but expect to pay between R1,200.00 and R 1,500.00 per session ( a total of 3 to 5 sessions may be required).