Question
Posted by: SPOTTY | 2008/09/03

Spots

Hi there - I' m a 33yr old female. At the age of 16 I started using The Pil to control my pimples. Now I have decided to go off The Pill, and my skin is now like a 16yr old!!! The spots are mostly on my chin area, and some of the ones that' s cleared up have left these big, red, ugly scars! It' s not dents in my skin, just red marks. How can I get rid of these red marks?

Thank you for your time.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi ‘Spotty’, thank you for the question.

Your best option is to consult a dermatologist who can examine the skin and advise you on the best treatment options.
However, before looking at how to treat the red marks one needs to follow a good skin care regime to not only treat the acne but also to help prevent further inflammatory lesions and pigmentation marks from appearing.

Do not exfoliate the skin or use any rough scrubs, avoid the sun as much as possible and use a good oil free SPF that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. Wash your face twice daily with a glycolic acid or salicylic acid based wash. Do not pick or squeeze the pimples as this will increase the chance of the red marks appearing and this may lead to permanent pigmentation changes and even scarring.

Please go to my web page: www.aestheticfacialenhancement.co.za and click the Skin and Acne Classification button under the Resources heading. Next click the “Grade Your Acne” and once you have graded your acne using this visual aid and guideline please click the treatment recommendations for your specific type of acne. This is a more accurate way of establishing the correct treatment protocol.

Furthermore, under the NeoStrata products, a breakdown of the recommended products for treating Acne and Oil Prone Skin, the ingredients, and how to use them can also be found on my web page.

The red marks should improve with the use of glycolic acid peels and following the above regime. I would also consider using NeoStrata’s Pigmentation lightening cream and their Brightening cream if the above topical regime does not give you the results you are looking for.