Posted by: Lena | 2009-07-28

spot building

hi Doc i know u cannot spot reduce but what about spot bulking? I need bigger shoulders and legs, just that. the rest is toned and shapely but just those parts are too small. However I do not want to rev up my metabolism as I tend to weigh too little. Will putting on more muscle only rev up my metabolism and make me burn fat when I am actually trying to size up? How does it work with the naturally slender body? Female age 36.

Hi Lena

yes, you can, definitely. Just look at swimmers, or cyclists, and you'll see that a muscle grows when it is used, and so therefore you can build. You just have focus exercises on the muscle group you wish to build. In your case, shoulder press exercises are a good bet. For the legs, depending which muscles, seated leg press, leg extension, hamstring curls and squats are good.

As for burning more fat, don't worry too much about metabolism with respect to fat and muscle - if you put on muscle, your mass will rise. Yes, your metabolic rate will increase, and you should burn fat, but that's not a bad thing and you shouldn't worry about it - you'll still change the body shape, and increase in size.