Posted by: Demitri | 2009-01-18

Sports induced asthma

Hi Doc,

I am 35 years old. 8 years back I cycled competitively and on the occasion suffered from sport induced asthma - not from being unfit I was very fit and only suffered an occasional attack. Once I suffered from the attack during hard sessions or during a race it would take a night’ s wrest for my lungs to fully recover. After an attack even a small hill or slight exertion would close my lungs again.
Now eight year later I have started racing again, on two occasions my lungs closed up, I visited a doctor and he has prescribed Symbicord 160 4.5. My question to you is will I have to be stuck on this for ever, I don’ t like the idea of constantly taking medication (currently take 1 puff in the morning and one at night) Wouldn’ t it be better to get a medication simply for an actual attack. I don’ t feel bad taking the meds but as mentioned just don’ t like the idea of taking meds all the time. Should I possibly wean myself off it or will the occasional attacks reoccur?

Thanks for your feedback Doc,

Dear Demitri

Thank you for visiting

The medication that you are using is very spesific for brocho-spasm. I do not recommend that you stop using this medication. I suggest that you also use Combivent, two puffs, a half an hour before your races/exercising. You can however, consult a Pulmonologist, for a second opinion.