Question
Posted by: Angie | 2011-11-27

Spontaneous Pneumothorax

Dear Dr,

I hope you can pls give some advise. I am a 33yr old female with no history of smoking. In July 2006 i suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax for the first time and was treated with oxygen overnight and it resolved. In June 2007 i suffered another spontaneous pneumothorax and had an IC drain inserted and sent home for a few day then returned for removal. On 5th November 2007 i suffered another spontaneous pneumothorax and had the pleurodesis to stick to wall. End November 2007 i suffered another spontaneous pneumothorax and was given bleomycin via my chest drain. In April 2009 i again had a spontaneous pneumothorax but was sent home for a few days and resolved. I am currently in hospital with yet another spontaneous pneumothorax and have a drain and vacuum pump. Xrays and CT scans shows no leak. We will tomorrow (Mon) do another CT Scan and then the surgeon will do a brocho...... (dye and camera into lung) to check for leaks. Dr said possibly just a tissue disorder but he not sure. What are my options in this situation? have had the surigcal and chemical treatments and nothing works! Please advise.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Angie.

I am sorry to hear about these recurrent pneumothoraces. A pulmonologist friend tells me that you may have one of three conditions which tend to cause recurrent pneumothoraces, ie lymphangio-leiomyomatosis, neurofibromatosis, and histiocytosis X. (Don’t be alarmed by the names! I only mention them so you can pass them on if necessary to your own doctor.)

The first one may be associated with angiomyolipomas in the kidney, so what you should have is a CT scan of the chest combined with a CT scan of the kidneys. You should see a pulmonologist, who can arrange these tests for you and advise you on further management. I hope things go better for you.

Kind regards. JT