Question
Posted by: Isabel | 2010/06/16

Sponsor

I''ve had bad luck finding a sponsor so far. Had two, but one has dissapeared (!) and the second one is abroad and will still be away for quite a while. Third is available but she is 20 years younger than me, doesn''t have that much clean time and we just don''t click.
There doesn''t seem to be that many women in the groups that I attend (I go to several) - most of the few that are there don''t have much longer clean time than what I have. I''m still in early recovery and will really prefer someone with more experience.
Any suggestions please? I''m at AA and am thinking of exploring NA sponsors. Otherwise, will a man do?

Expert ImageArchive

I want to commend you on your willingness to follow the suggestions in the 12 step fellowship. A sponsor is one of the most important people in a recovering alcoholic/addicts life as it is only by identifying with each other that we truly come to understand and gain freedom from our disease.

If you feel that you have exhausted your options in AA then by all means try NA. However, please remeber that there is no such thing as the perfect sponsor. The relationship of sponsor and sponsee is one of shared experience and the main objective of having a sponsor is to have someone to guide you through the 12 Steps.

I would not recommend cross gender sponsorship. Keep doing the next right thing!

Karen
karen@harmonyclinic.co.za

1
Posted by: Addictions Expert Forum | 2010/06/24

Karen
karen@harmonyclinic.co.za

Reply to Addictions Expert Forum