Posted by: Leanne | 2009-06-08

Spondylothesis and severe back pain tin the morning!

Hi there. I have grade 1 spondylothesis. I was " diagnosed"  with it about 4 years ago. How long does it stay at a grade? Will it definatley move to grade 2 at some stage? If so, is there a time period for this change? I don' t really suffer with pain during the day, not excruciating pain at least! It' s only in the mornings. The pain actually wakes me up and it hurts for me to breath deeply, it literally catches my breath and my back is so very sore. The pain goes from the mid section of my back (just under my shoulder blades) to my lower back with the most pain in the middle and around my spine. I have to get up and walk or bend a little to kinda ' stretch'  it out. I just don' t understand why it is so sore when I sleep? I don' t move around too much in bed either. What exercises can I do or what else (supplement) can I do to stop this? How can I manage this pain and not go to grade 2??? I don' t think I' ll handle it!!!

Expert ImageChiroDoc

You do need to avoid activities that place great strain on the back. Provided you concentrate on your posture and with proper exercise - the chances of further immediate degeneration are small. I would advise you to consult with a physiotherapist or chiropractor for specific exercises and care if necessary. During the daytime - we dehydrate and there is progressive loss of fluid in our joints. At night we recover and hydration takes place - the fluid lost on the joint spaces is replaced, but due to the relative inactivity in the resting position - the joints become "stiff" especially in areas of injury, instability etc... A little movement after arising usually dimishes this stiffness as the joint recover its functional state.
Chiropractic care may indeed relieve some of these symptoms.

Thank you for your response. It makes sense.