Posted by: rita | 2009-10-07

splitting up excercise

Hi there fitness doc,
Is it beneficial to split up a cardio work out? I excersise for 10 min in the morning(I have a spinning bike at home) and 10 in evening. I have just started, so I plan to take it up to 30 in am and 30 pm. I also started to follow the Holford eating plan, low gl, and quit smoking 5 days ago. I suppose that I will have to start resistance excersises too, what would you recommend for a non-gym-goer?

Hi Rita

Depends on the objective. I think you lose out a little bit in terms of which fuel you use for exercise, and you certainly lose out on fitness. So if your objective is to get fitter, then splitting the sessions doesn't help, it's actually counter-productive.

However, if you're in it purely to burn some energy, then the difference is not that large. So you might get away with it. I just think that if you have 20 minute savailable (or 60, later on), you should probably use them at once, because the benefits are minimal, but the time cost is much greater.

So I would say it's up to your preference, but I'd keep it as one session, otherwise it's a much bigger commitment than if you train only once. But, as I say, it's up to you, and if you'd enjoy two a day, then go for it.

As for weight training, body weight exercises will be fine - pushups, squats, situps, lunges, tricep dips, and you'll have it covered.