Question
Posted by: RK | 2009/10/09

Splitting of stomach muscle

I am 28 yrs old and gave birth to my fourth child two weeks ago. My midwife said that my stomach muscles had been split?? I am not sure if I' m using the right words but its something to that effect. Will it have any consequence on my health and will it ever return to normal?? How long after birth can I start excercise and what type would be best to help these muscles?

HI RK

Not 100% sure, I must be honest. There would possibly be some damage to the muscle during birth, but I don't know what the long-term effects of this would be. It won't affect health though, as far as I know.

In terms of starting exercise again, that depends on you - the best person to ask is your doctor, but usually within a few weeks is OK, once you feel recovered (unless there are complications in the birth). The exercise is the same as before, there is no special requirement or anything to avoid, and for the stomach, it's the same as well - regular cardio, regular toning, and a good diet, very importantly!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/10/12

HI RK

Reply to fitnessdoc