Question
Posted by: SPLITTING KIDS AFTER DIVORCE | 2011/03/07

SPLITTING KIDS AFTER DIVORCE

Hi, I got divorced 4 years ago. My sons was staying at first with me. But they moved back with my ex, for reasons, its closer to their school and he is staying on in our house. Now he is struggling to cope. He wants to split the kids. The little one is to much for him as he is only 5 and a handfull. The older 9 years.
I dont believe in splitting the kids. although the oldest does not want to come and stay with me. He says he will give the kids back to me if i move back into the house. Which i dont. to much sad memories and far from my work. i suggested that the kids change schools. he does not want that. What do you suggest i do?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Bertus Preller
Best would be for both of you to approach the Family Advocate's office in order to arrange for mediation of a proper parenting plan. Bear in mind that it is the interests of the children that is paramount, not yours or those of your ex.

B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
Established 1935
1st Floor, 56 Shortmarket Street, Cape Town, 8000
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
Direct Fax: 086 572 8373
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http: www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce
Facebook: www.facebook.com/divorceattorneys

2
Posted by: family law expert | 2011/03/12

Bertus Preller

B.Proc; AD Dip L Law
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
Established 1935
O: +27 (0) 21 422 1323
Direct Fax: 086 572 8373
E: bertus@divorceattorney.co.za
W: http: www.divorceattorney.co.za
Twitter: www.twitter.com/edivorce

Reply to family law expert
Posted by: FIO | 2011/03/10

Go with ex and kids for psychological evaluation to determine whats best for the kids in terms of their needs, then attend mediation sessions to helkp you guys devise a system that will work in meeting the needs of the kids first, and secondly fall within your respective abilities as parents.

You need professiona outside, objective assisatnce to determine what is best to do. Its too easy to do what you think is best, and end upo messing the kids lives up for good.

Reply to FIO