Posted by: Hamah | 2008-10-30

Splitting Headache when shaking head

For the past two/three weeks I realised that i woke up with a headache which seems to trigger off when I shake my head back and forth  I realised this in the gym as I do early morning exercises. The pain is right behind the eyes and more to the right ear. I do not use spectacles and I am aged 39. Nothing changed in my sleeping habits  what could this be?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Hamah,

Unfortunately it is not possible to diagnose the cause from the symptoms you have described, as there are a number of things that can be causing them.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

Posted by: Hamah | 2008-10-31

Much appreciated  my worry is brought about by the fact that I barely remember taking medication for a headache! I will make a follow up on the suggestion that you have given.

Reply to Hamah