Question
Posted by: C | 2009/04/28

Splits

I am trying to achieve side and front splits. I do a proper warm-up and stretch on a daily basis for at least 20-30 minutes before working on the splits. Have been working on this for last three months. It feels as if I am not making any progress (also doing the wall split exercise to ensure my hip and foot alignment is correct). I am not pushing too hard though. Is this my mistake? Should I go beyond what is comfortable? Or should I just allow myself another 6-9 months? I don' t have any problem with flexibility when I do normal stretching.

HI C

Difficult one. I think there's a fine line between pushing past the point of discomfort and pushing yourself into injury and damage. As with any stretch, you do have to go beyond the point of first resistance in order to improve. But I would imagine you're doing that, so when you say you're not pushing hard, that's subjective and might mean you're underdoing it, it might not.

One question is why you are trying for this? Unless there is a very good reason (for example, you have to do a split for some sport you do), there's no point and you're only increasing the chances of getting injured anyway. So I'd question the incentive, not just the process. If you do need to do it though, then I suspect you'll need someone else to assist you, because you're pushing the body beyond "normal", and external support and assistance helps a lot, when it comes to passively stretching.

3
Posted by: C | 2009/04/30

Sorry, about the above.
I am trying to achieve the splits for my martial arts (kung fu) training. I am not under any pressure to achieve it as soon as possible, but it has now become my goal to achieve it. There are students in the advanced classes (who have been trainng for 5 years) who have still not achieved the splits, especially the so-called " chinese split" . I will just be patient, even if it takes a year or two. Thanks for your input.

Reply to C
Posted by: C | 2009/04/30

Thanks.

Reply to C
Posted by: C | 2009/04/30

Thanks.

Reply to C