Posted by: Dana | 2010-06-23

Split Uvula

My 8 month old son has a split Uvula (My GP noticed when I took him in for a throat infection) and I was wondering whether there was anything wrong with that or could cause him any problems? Should I take him to an ENT?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Dana

A so called bi-fid uvula is very common, and is not associated with any real problems. During embriological development the two sides of the muscle called the tensor veli pallatini fuse, and create the soft palate. In some cases fusion does not happen at all, creating a so called cleft soft palate. In your babies case, it has fused, only creating a small visual defect, that has no clinical consequences. If your chlid is feeding well, and has no problem with his ears (specifically otitis media with effusion), no further investigation is necessary. This is a common occurance, but usually not problematic.
You could visit your ENT for a thourough investigation to confirm the status of the uvula, but usually no treatment
is indicated.