Question
Posted by: Denise | 2008/09/09

spinning tactics

hi I' d like to develop my legs and build my butt - have started spinning and have decided that rather than do 30 mins, I' ll do 15 but be ' climbing'  the whole time and increasing the resistance every 3 mins or so. I find I actually get twice as tired as the 30 min up-and-down option and the burn is certainly very intense because I' m off the seat the whole time. Is this a good butt building strategy? I' m not keen on losing weight as I weigh 53 kg at 1.68m, am a 34 yr old woman. Just nd to develop legs and build more butt. I also do weight training.

thanks

D

hI Denise

Honestly, I don't think you can cheat the body like this. What you will find is that your strategy develops a different kind of fitness, but take care not to fall into the trap of focusing only on one goal - the tiredness you feel, the effort, does not necessarily translate into a better result, and worst of all, it may increase the chance of injury. So my advice is to do regular spinning at least half the time, and perhaps the other half, to try this kind of thing.

But don't do a straight out 15 minutes - rather do 30 minutes, broken down into 6 intervals where you go hard for four minutes, then rest for 1 minute. Repeat that 6 times, you have actually done 24 minutes of this climbing type of ride, but the benefit of the rest is that you can do it. So that's a way to get the same kind of effect without necessarily losing out on other benefits.

Hope that helps.