Question
Posted by: JoJo | 2008/08/12

Spinning for beginners

Hiya Doc
I want to start spinning at the gym (virgin actve) but they don' t seem to offer any beginners classes and i' m nowhere near ready for a full on class- i have seen waht those people look like when they come out of there - and they' re fit!!
What do you suggest i start with? They have an edurance, interval and race day class. I' m relatively fit and train 4 days a week now, but am not getting the desire results (weight loss of course!) so i think i need to kick up the cardio a notch and i' m the lazy kind of person who needs someone in teh front of class shouting at me and telling me what to do.
Please help!
Ta!
:-)

Hi JoJo

I honestly don't think that the level of class should put you off too much - remember, in spinning, you control your own "destiny" because you can alter the resistance, and so it's fine for you to be in a tougher class, because you'll just ride your own session.

Having said that, I appreciate that you don't want to plunge in at the deep end, and my advice is that you rather do the interval class, but then focus on doing the ride with a very low resistance. It will take some getting used to, because you won't know how to pace yourself to begin with. But that will come quickly, and in no time, you'll have gotten the hang of it. I know it's difficult to do that with everyone around you on their own "mission", but you kind of have to insulate yourself against all that and just train in your "bubble".