Question
Posted by: Mike | 2008/08/25

Spinning and developing/building legs

I want to start spinning with the primary purpose of developing/bulding (gettting bigger) calfs, and upper leg muscle.

What type of spinning should i do, for how long, and how often.

Will spinning do this for me? After how long will one see results?

Thanks!

Hi Mike

I think in the beginning, you will see a general set of changes that is kind of common across all types. So the start is the easy part - you'll lose a little weight and tone the muscles. If it's developing the muscle that you're after, then you need to focus on keep the resistance quite high and pushing "heavier" gears. That's difficult to do though, and that's why you can't start off there. You need to spend a few weeks, maybe even months, develpoing the fitness you will need to ride the heavy gears. So my advice is to get into the studio for any class, and just build up a basic level of fitness before you start "playing" with specific sessions.

Once you get there, then as I said, it's a question of riding in heavier gears, with higher resistance, and so the interval or strength classes that are offered will work best for you.

I'd say that for now, 3 sessions a week is good, and then as you get fitter, a fourth would do. Also, consider doing altnerative forms of training like running or rowing, and even some weight training. In fact, weight training is a definite, given your goal from the training.