Question
Posted by: Vanidha Pulliah | 2010/05/11

Spinning

Please advise - I exercise regularly - 4 times a week for a maximum of 8 hours. I vary my exercise from aerobics , spinning, body conditioning and I do a 30 min. abs before my main 60 min workout.
I would like to know for my age - 56 - is it advisible to do a spinning class more than once a week??? - I am quite fit although my knees do ache after a spinning class - just for the record I had an arthroscopy done on my knees two years ago.
The exercise mentioned above are all hight intenisity which i very much enjoy - beingin the gym for the last 10 years has become part of my daily lifestyle.

My question regarding spinning - I heard from a few sources that women should not spin often cause it can cause vaginal problems ?????? - is this true.

Vanidha Pulliah

Hi Vanidha

You can certainly do it more than once a week. There's no right or wrong answer there - everyone is different. It certainly sounds as though you have built up a really good level of fitness over the years, and so you can probably handle the load.

The problem is that because we're all different, you may be crossing over the line where it becomes too much. Your knees will hurt a bit more than usual, and that will be the sign to ease off, to give it a miss for a few days. Or, that will never happen and you'll be perfectly fine going twice a week.

As for vaginal problems, not at all. That's a rumour, I have no idea where it began, but I can assure you that it's not true. In your case, the "risk" is your knees, but if you just liten to your body, you'll be able to avoid injury.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/05/15

Hi Vanidha

Reply to fitnessdoc