Posted by: Pamela | 2008-11-15

Spine curvature

My 4.5 month old baby has been diagnosis with hypochondroplasia (a type of dwarfism). X-rays were taken when she was 6 weeks old and a spine curature was noted. As time has past, my husband and I have notice that it is also going skew. After a visit to the paed, we have discovered that not only is there a curvature but she also has scoliosis (not sure of spelling). I would like to know what you think the best way forward is. I believe it can be remedied, I am not sure if we should contact a chiropractor.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Pamela
I suggest you make an appointment with a paediatric orthopaedic surgeon who will be more knowledgeable about the way forward. I know there are definite ways in trying to prevent further curvatures, but your baby needs to be examined physically by this doctor. I don't think a chiropractor would be the best choice in such a young baby. Ask your doctor to refer you to the best paediatric orthopaedic surgeon close to you.