Question
Posted by: Mariam | 2011-11-14

Spinal Injury

Dear doctors

Hope you’ ll are well. I have a family member that was in an accident on Thursday (10.11.11). He was walking on the pavement when a taxi lost control &  hit him from behind.

He was taken to hospital where the Doctor did a chest X-ray, gave him pan ado &  told him he was fine to go home. He told the doctor that he was in allot of pain from the waist below. The doctor assured him it was because of the impact &  he will be fine. He was left in the outpatient ward the whole night without even a drip.

The next morning another doctor examined him &  informed us that his spine was crushed. He now requires an op. Yesterday they pumped his stomach &  they have a drainage bag as there is now fluid in his lung.

I have 2 questions:
1. What are the doctors going to do when they operate him for his spine? (I do understand it is 50/50)
2. Could all the drainage be prevented if the 1st doctor diagnosed him correctly?

Kind Regards
MBS

Mariam

The operation is most probably indicated to stabilise the spine, in order to protect the spinal column. Certain complications could have been prevented if the first doctor had been more thorough.