Posted by: Mary | 2010-07-12

Spinal Cord Injury

Dear Doc

If a person has had a spinal cord injury and they lose a desire for sex or experience a complete loss of libido, can this return after some time? My friend (male) has a SCI and cannot experience an erection. The injury happened 6 months ago. Is it sometimes possible for erection/ libido to improve over time or does one need other medical intervention (eg medications) to stimulate sexual function? He has cerebellum and cerebral damage to the brain.
Many thanks

Expert ImageHandicap Expert

The most common reason for his loss of libido will be due to the spinal cord injury, as he is no longer able to have or experience sex as usual. It might be due to insecurities/lowered self-esteem, chronic depression etc. It libido might improve over time but he might always have to use medication to facilitate an adequate erection.

Posted by: Alvin | 2010-08-13

I am 44lears old and have cerebal degenegration that impose on my walking abillity,what can be done (ewen in the extreem form)

Reply to Alvin