Posted by: Brenda | 2008-12-17

Spinal and hepatic hemangioma

A recent MRI scan revealed a L1 hemangioma. I previously had abdominal ultrasounds which revlealed 2 hepatic hemangiomas (six months ago only one was visible, now there are two). Are spinal and hepatic hemangiomas common? What are the treatment options available. I do experiance back and hip pain as symptoms.

Hallo Brenda
Hepatic hemangiomas are more common than spinal ones. Treatment for spinal hemangiomas depends on the size and location of the hemangioma. A combination of embolization (i.e. closing the blood flow), excision (surgical removal of the tumor) and radiation therapy can be used. Liver hemangiomas will be removed by surgery if needed ( i.e if it causes severe liver enlargement, pain or risk of bleeding) You do know that hemangiomas are not cancers? The only danger they pose is pressure on the surrounding tissue and risk of bleeding.