Question
Posted by: Popeye | 2010/06/28

Spinach drink

I have been having a ''green'' smoothie every mroning before breakfast for a few weeks now and was just wondering what you though about it.
I blend spinach, celery, cucumber, parsley, an apple and a little lemon juice with some water and drink it as is.

Can i overdo it? Should i perhaps do it ever second day?
It''s very yummy and i feel very ''clean'' afterwards.

Dear Popeye
Smoothies are perfectly good and healthy and the combination you are using sounds fine to me. Stick to one medium glass a day (200 ml) because overdoing this could cause diarrhoea which would spoil the positive effects! Excessive intakes of dark green leafy vegetables like spinach can also cause excessive beta-carotene and vitamin K intakes, which are also not desirable. Just because our bodies need small amounts of beta-carotene and vit K, does not mean that we should overdose on these or any other nutrients.
Enjoy

1

Dear Popeye
Enjoy