Posted by: Adie | 2010-01-25

Spin offs from exercise.

I realise that you probably get the same questions posed to you time and time again... but here goes anyway!

I am a 36 year old woman. I' ve picked up quite a lot of weight over a 3 year period (20 kgs) and have been struggling to get it off. I now weigh 79 kg' s and would like to get back down to 64 / 62. I am 1.7 m tall.

The thing is - I can' t seem to break through the 76 kg mark. I alsmost get there and then pick up again... !

I have tried to get fit again but always gave up after a few tries because I felt as if I wasn' t achiveing anything. About 6 weeks ago I started walking (on and off) and about 4 weeks ago went over to running. I' ve been doing this consistently (like every day, or every second day). I do this cardio first thing in the morning, and in the afternoons ( 3 times per week) I do circuit or weights at the gym for about 45 minutes. I have also started a belly dancing class once a week.

All good, I know... and I feel very positive about it and have absolutely no intention to give up this time - I' m having too much fun.

Except... Last week the 5 k run was really difficult. Thursday I could only do 2.5 k' s. This morning was really hard too although I finished it. I just took a break from my desk and ran down the stairs (14 flights) and walked back up. ANd I felt like I was as unfit as a couch potato!!

So here is my question. How long till I begin to have a better capacity for exercise. I can do the 5 k' s but some days I really still feel as if its just as hard as the first day I started!

I would love to be able to finish the 5 k' s with ease. How long till I can get to that point? and then, If I continue with this (as I WILL) :) should I begin to see changes in my body with regards to firmness in about a month or will it be longer too?

I am eating healthy, small portions throughout the day, and keeping a food diary.

I do feel good though... and that is the reason I won' t give up. But the spin offs... I' m quite keen to see some of the spin offs. Please give me some advice of what to expect and when.

Hi Adie

Very difficult question. It's nearly impossible to guess at the reason you're suddenly struggling now. It may be that you trained a little too hard too soon. I don't know how quickly you progressed to running and when you say that you did, I'm not 100% sure how far you did it to begin with. Might just be that you've gone too fast, and you need to back down and walk again before you run, literally and figuratively.

You might want to try to follow a structured programme - there are some walking-running programmes on the Fitness page of the Health24 site, on the left hand side where there is a link for "Programmes". That may be what you need.

You'll certainly benefit from exercise, but don't forget diet. People often fail to lose weight during exercise specifcally because they eat more and then put back more energy than they burn. That may in fact explain why you get stuck at your current weight, and you need to consider your diet as a result.

Other than that, you really should focus on fitness,and not the scale. That's why the programme will be helpful, if you stick with it.

Posted by: Adie | 2010-01-26

Today again I was totally pooped after 2.5 and didn' t even get to 5 k' s.

It' s week 4 of running. Week one, and 2, till halfway into week 3 I could do 5 and feel as tired as I now do after 2.5.

Why is this and how do I remedy it?

Thanks again

Reply to Adie
Posted by: adie | 2010-01-26

Reply to adie