Posted by: Kevin | 2011-01-31

Spin before or after?

Can you help - I want to get back into spinning. I also do not want to stop with my normal weight training routine.
I would like to add the spinning to my routine and do it as often as possible. Would you suggest i do the spinning class before I do my training or after?

Hi Kevin

Tricky one. The upside of doing it before is that you'll be fresher for spinning, but it may compromise weight training. The downside is of course the reverse - a very tough day on the bike! Because you're adding the spinning, it's likely to be a "weaker" discipline, at least until you build up a level of fitness. For that reason, do it first, so that you're fresher for it. Then your weight session, you might need to compromise a little, lower the intensity, so that you don't over do it. remember, you may be more then doubling your overall training load here, so you can expect that to be very tough.

So do this a few days a week (your upper body days would be best to give the legs a bit of reprieve) only, and spin first, lift upper body after. See how it goes and if you can handle more then add it later.

Good luck!