Question
Posted by: Jane | 2011/01/27

Spiking heart rate and low blood pressure

This is not really a medical concern, more a point of interest. When I exercise my heart rate increases rapidly (more than normal, but not within a dangerous range) and recovers quite quickly. I tend to have low blood pressure (last tested at 107/72).

Someone suggested that my low-ish blood pressure might necessitate that my heart rate goes up more rapidly than normal as it needs to pump faster to get enough oxygenated blood around my system. It sounded like an interesting theory - could there be any sense in it?

Hallo Jane
The body has a complicated set of systems than ensure that the tissues get enough oxygenated blood - this can include change in heart rate, dilatation of blood vessels and changes in excretion of fluid by the kidneys. You may find this article interesting: http://www.health24.com/fitness/Cardio/16-1371-2173,19285.asp

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/01/27

Hallo Jane