Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/06/17

Spider Bite

Hi There,
Since sunday (13 June) the gland in my upper leg, where my leg and my abdomen join has been swollen and VERY tender, to the extent that I cannot walk correctly. on Monday evening I noticed a small sore on my tummy (not painful at all) but did not think anything of it. I did not slep on Monday evening, I had a terrible fever, headache, nausea, and flu like symptoms. Tuesday I went to the doc and he said it was a spider bite. Gave me a shot and some meds and I had to lay on my back for a day. Today I am not feeling any better and my rifgt arm has a lot of pain and is a little numb.

We were in botswana for a week at the end of may / beginning of june. What type of Spider could it have been???

Hallo Lee
It is difficult to guess what kind of spider it could have been but it can also be a tick bite - especially if the sore gets a black centre ( eschar) see tickbitefever.com/images/tick_bite.JPG
If you suspect that it is a tick bite, ask your doctor if the medication he gave you includes a tetracycline antibiotic.
Malaria can also give fever, flu like symptoms but won't cause swollen glands.
RAther go back for follow up if no improvement in 48 hours on medication

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/17

Hallo Lee