Posted by: TASH | 2009-09-14

SPF Factor?

Some people say 20 spf factor is enough and if you go higher there are chemicals in those products and then you get pigmentation with those higher factor products. Is this true and if not what factor protection must I wear if I am on holiday and daily?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tash, thank you for the question.

You are partly correct in that certain chemicals in SPF products may be harmful to one’s skin. However, you do need a SPF 50 or higher but to achieve this safely look out for products that contain zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide (Heliocare Gel SPF 50) and remember to apply several times daily. One should also consider the Heliocare tablets as this will increase the natural SPF of the skin.