Posted by: Me | 2009-02-23

My husband and I are ttc for 7 years now with 4 mc' s which all was in the first 9 weeks of pregnancy, I was just wondering is it possible for my CM to kill his sperm and if so how far if at all will such a pregnancy last?

Dear Me

The effect of cervical mucus hostile factors is usually a cause of infertility and not the cause of repeated pregnancy losses. In order to treat the problem on infertility you will have to have a full and thorough gynaecological evaluation including hormonal tests as well as pelvic anatomical assessment. In addition your gynaecologist will need to investigate you for all the likely causes of recurrent pregnancy losses in the first trimester and this will include a series of intensive blood investigations and even in some cases the need for genetic evaluation. Should no cause be established then I would recommend in-vitro fertilization with the option of pre-genetic diagnosis of the embryos.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim