Posted by: Matt | 2011-12-20

Spermicide in South Africa - The Big Enigma

I am at my wits'' end.

What gives?? No one seems to stock the stuff, and worse still, no one seems to know what it IS!!

I''''ve gone to four Clicks pharmacies, and at two of them, when asked at the dispensary, the staff showed puzzled looks, and asked me to repeat the brand name (I never gave one). I just got a follow up call from a query on the Dischem website, and the girl asked me if it is used to "  build sperm up?"  !!!

Truly amazing ignorance we have in the pharmaceutical industry in SA! Especially given the high prevalence of unwanted pregnancies!

Any suggestions will be most welcome!

Probably because it is not a particularly effective form of contraception.

Posted by: Christi | 2016-05-30 South african healthcare is pathetic as seen by the amazingly uninterested and callous so called gyneadoc. There are women who cannot make use of oral contraceptives, latex or iud contraceptives, i suppose we are written off to take our chance as if we live in stone age. Unacceptable given the orbital fees we need to pay these useless people. My advice: the world has become small. Consult a first world doctor. Forget about any real help in this country.

Reply to Christi
Posted by: Nurse Kah | 2016-02-12

Hi hi. Here comes the solution to your problems. I reside in the Eastern Cape of SA and a retail agent of Contragel. Contragel is a natural spermicidal gel. Any one in need of Femcap (cervical cap) could also reach out to me. Cheapest prices.

Reply to Nurse Kah
Posted by: Pen | 2015-06-07

I think it sucks that pharmacists are illiterate about such products in SA. I have read that in other countries they have spermicidal condoms. Tried asking for that and I was looked at like I'm the ignorant one.

Reply to Pen
Posted by: Annoyed | 2014-11-29

Wow thanks GynaeDoc for providing such a wealth of cut-and-paste uselessness. How about someone who can actually provide some facts bothers answering this question?

Reply to Annoyed
Posted by: Angelo Samaklis | 2014-11-22

Hi All. This product is no longer available in South Africa.It was removed from the shelf 15-20 years ago, and is no longer available in South Africa.It however only carried a 70-80% safety factor and was not the safest form of contraception,in fact very risky to say the least.You can import it from other destinations, but it is not that easy as one would thik,It is a lot cheaper just to go buy featherline condoms locally and call it a day.

Reply to Angelo Samaklis
Posted by: Who Knows More | 2014-10-31

The Experts dont seem to know much here i guess

Reply to Who Knows More

Delfen Foam used to be advertised is South African womens magazines, and was available in RSA in the 1970's, Someone also mentioned a preparation in suppository form. No one I have spoken to seems to have heard of the latter. I have found nothing on the internet which even hints at what it may have been. I suspect that it might have been an overseas product someone brought back from an overseas trip, or was a figment of my informant's information. I fear that there is no product available locally. The reasons that spermicides are back seat are well explained on the internet. Your only option is probably to seek a reputable product on the internet. If you do find something local do post product names.

Posted by: Girl interrupted. | 2013-08-16

I have been trying to find Spermicide in South Africa recently, and have experienced the same lack of knowledge as previously mentioned. I was offered a tablet that promotes sperm production instead. Hardly what I was looking for.... I don't blame the lady that helped me. She was pleasant and did her best. What worries me is the pharmacist that had no clue. Is there any advice that you can provide dear GynaeDoc, (or anyone else) other than the semi-automated copy and paste we see here? Advice such as, where we 'fools' who are clearly determined to source this kind of contraceptive may find some answers? Other than having to order our contraceptives online. Which does seem a little ridiculous. I have done my research, I realize it may not be the most effective method, and that non-oxynol 9 can cause serious skin irritation (if you are prone to that sort of thing). However, if you choose to use a diaphragm it would be wonderful to be able to find the spermicide that would assist with it's effectiveness, as a diaphragm on its own is not 99.9% effective. Some people are unable to use condoms due to allergies, or can't/won't take the contraceptive pill due to the hormonal changes it causes, hence why the IUD is out of the question too. Then of course there is also coitus interruptus, but again, what could assist with that? South Africa does't know the answer to that question it seems... P.S. So far there seem to be products such as 'Gynol 2' and vaginal contraceptive film or 'VCF' that you can order online. I have not done this myself as I can't believe something like this is not available in my Country. Happy hunting to all others looking to this thread for answers...

Reply to Girl interrupted.
Posted by: Sarah | 2012-01-18

I have also spent the last three weeks looking for spermicide!! Most pharmacists don''t even know what it is. The companies that make these diaphragms, which have to be used with spermicide, also do not know of spermicide brands and their availability!

There is clearly a huge loop hole in the women''s health care system. One would think contraception would be taken seriously in South Africa with the large numebr of unwanted pregnancies.

Why would gynaecologist recommend a diapragm/spermicide as a form of contraception if it is not effective or available???

Reply to Sarah
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2011-12-22

Reply to gynaedoc | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: CJ | 2015-04-01

Seriously GynaeDoc... same answer again?? Right - I am not able to use hormonal contraceptives due to the clotting risk, I have low protein S, my doc advised against the use of an IUD also, my boyfriend loses sensation with condoms and this has left us using the ever so effective pull out method!! So yes, whilst spermicide and diaphrams are not the most effective, they are surely more effective then the pull out and hope and pray method!!!! So, a little freakin help please?!