Question
Posted by: Cynthia | 2010/09/06

Sperm wash

my husband is HIV+ and I am HIV- and I need any information on sperm wash and artificial insemination or facilities that can do the procedure..

Dear Cynthia

Although sperm wash and insemination is a fairly safe method of facilitating conception in this situation I would recommend as a first line of treatment the more safer option of in-vitro fertilization with intracytoplasmic sperm injection [ICSI]. However due to the cost limitations of such a program insemination is a satisfactory option and can be performed in most fertility centres. The important proviso is that for an insemination to be successful the fallopian tubes need to be evaluated and need to be patent and there should be no significant other gynaecological problems such as endometriosis or ovulatory dysfunction. You can browse the BioART website for further information.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

2
Posted by: ANON | 2010/10/29

Hi Cynthia

Where are you? In Durban the procedure is done at St. Augustine Hospital. The sperm wash will cost you R1200.00 and for IUI you will pay R750.00.

Good luck.

Reply to ANON
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/09/13

Dear Cynthia

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert