Question
Posted by: Murray | 2010/07/08

Sperm Texture Worry

Hi Doctor,

I posted a couple of months ago saying that i noticed that my sperm sample had changed from a very

''thick''''white''''clumpy'' texture to a more liquid and clear texture and this was worrying me.

I took quite a knock to the testes with a cricket ball last year. Went to a GP at the time and he

told me that it is all fine an that they can take quite a large amount of stress but don''t bruise like normal tissue so they take longer to heal.

Between now and last year is when i noticed the change (it is not something that I think to look at so can''t really give exacts). In response to my post you said that i should get a Sperm Count test done. I have subsequently done that. I am not able to interpret the results though.

Do you suggest that i see a specialist or can the consistancy change from time to time? I would not know where to find a specialist. Is there anyone you can reccommend in or close to the Cape Town CBD area?

These were the results that i was given by Pathcare:

Spermiogram
Abstinence: 3 Days
Time after colection 1 Hour (was on site)
Appearance Normal Colour
Viscosity 0.5cm
Volume 3.5ml
Sperm Count 33.0 Mill/ml
Motility < 30% (Flagged as Low)
Mean frw.progression 2 (Normal)
Leucocytes 4
Morphology
Normal Forms 2% (Flagged as Low)
Amorphous 97%
Tapered 1%

This has been worrying me for a few months now and would appreciate some guidance. Also is there anything that can be done to help in this case?

I am a 25 year old male

Thanks in advance

Murray

Dear Murray

I would strongly suggest that you see a urologist however I would try and give you some advice or explanation on your semen analysis that you have posted. Your sperm volume and sperm count appear normal. However the sperm motility is low which means the function of the sperm to swim to appropriate site is inhibited and in addition the number of normal forms are only 2%. That means 98% of your sperm appear to have an abnormal shape and this would indicate a poor quality sperm sample. sperm samples such as these have an association with a low potential for fertility and therefore will certainly contribute to male factor infertility. I would suggest that you see your urologist to ascertain if there are any factors possible clinically that may be rectified to improve these sperm parameters. If he is unable to help you or if he feels that it cannot be rectified then you may require assisted reproductive techniques when you and your partner are trying to have a baby together.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

3
Posted by: WVW | 2010/07/20

Good day there can be more than on cause for this yours are the same as my husband the cause of his been like this is because he is a welder of trade &  the welding cause them to deform

hope it gets better we have been strugling 4 yaers to get pregnant because of this fault &  we are still trying hard

Reply to WVW
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/07/16

Dear Murray

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: Dee | 2010/07/12

Your volume, count and motility are all OK. the morphology (shape) of the sperm is low. What is means is that the shape is deformed and cannot penetrate an egg to fertilise it. You may need assistance to have a baby should you like one. My husband had almost the same as you as we had to do IVF to conceive.

Im not sure if you can blame the cricket ball incident because morphology issues are generally heriditary ie you probbaly had this all along.

As for the sperm texture normally a white, thick texture indicates a higher sperm count and its quite possible that the cricket ball could have caused your count to drop which is why you are seeing a difference in texture. 33 million is just above the cut-off of normal which is 30 million so your count is not very high but still considered normal.

To increase sperm quality take vit c and zinc supplements which do help.

Reply to Dee