Posted by: P.P | 2009-02-01

?Sperm genetics

Hi, my husband and i have recently done an IVF which failed to fertilize even though i produced 8 good eggs and his sperm seemed normal. The doctor now tells me that there may be a sperm genetic problem. He says that there are no tests for this and that they need to check our blood chromosomes. This does not make sense to me!
As this is an area of your recent interest, may you have more information for me.
Thank you:)

Dear P.P

It would be important to analysis the fertilization failure in more detail, as there are many other possibilities a part from sperm genetics. Problems with sperm binding, sperm penetration, nuclei de-condensation as well as genetic factors within the oocyte itself may all contribute to fertilization failure. However were there is a strong suspicion of some form of genetic sperm problem, it might be valuable to analysis sperm for DNA fragmentation (apoptosis). A high percentage of apoptosis would certainly allude to the possibility of sperm genetic factors, which can then be further probed. However the same may also apply to egg genetic factors which although seemingly looks normal could be the significant if carefully analysed. Finally it is probably of most relevance to consider changing your IVF program to an ICSI program (intracytoplasmic sperm injection) and to consider if the second program fails the option of PGD (pre-genetic diagnosis). In this situation the embryo is analysed for genetic abnormalities and this is certainly of greater relevance than the individual parts i.e. sperm and egg.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Posted by: SASHA | 2009-02-03

This can be frustrating especially the disappointment of going through the entire months injections etc.
My Hubby also had a Y chromosome checked but we got fertilisation although no implantation. Which Fertility Specialist are you going to. Just hang in there

Reply to SASHA