Posted by: NS | 2009-08-20

Sperm Count

Just want to know where my husband can go to get a sperm count done and the mobility on his sperm?? Or can he go to a normal GP where there is a lancet laboratory?
Please advise

Dear NS

You can have a sperm count done by any fertility unit or most of the big laboratories should offer a sperm count facility such as Ampath or Lancet laboratories.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Posted by: Penny for my thought | 2009-08-25

you would want to try a Lab / Fert. doc that' s not further than 45 minutes from your house, as this is the deadline you' ll be given to get the sperm there, if you' re doing it from home. The way you' re giving a sperm sample is preferable to how you would naturally do it ie. doing it at home as opposed to the doctor' s office. also have a 3 day build up (2 day old sperm is too new, and 3 day old sperm starts dying off). You might want to recheck your lifestyle, as the swimmer you' re ejaculating today is the product of your lifestyle 3 months ago. Note medical aid also doesn' t cover this procedure, although it' s roughly priced at around R 600.00. Good luck, it really aint'  that weird.

Reply to Penny for my thought