Question
Posted by: Aubz | 2009-03-11

Sperm count

Hi. My wife and I are trying for more than a year now. She is using Clomiphene Citrate. I went for a semen analysis at the clinic, all my hormones and whatever they test for was above the average requirement - my doctor said my motility was excellent (84%) and there were no abnormal forms present, but my sperm count per ml is a mere 5.1 million per ml. I know the average is more than 23 million per ml. Could this pose a problem to infertility? I must add that prior to doing the sperm analysis we had sex every day for almost a month..we only stopped having sex 3 days prior to the test. Could this also be a reason why I have a low sperm count?

Dear Aubz

A single low sperm count result is not necessarily a reason for concern and there are many simple preparations on the market to improve sperm count per say. It is true however that too frequent intercourse may also result in a drop in sperm count and it is sometimes advisable to abstain for short periods of time to allow for sperm reserves to build up. Furthermore I would advise that your wife has a full gynaecological fertility work-up prior to pursuing the option of intrauterine insemination.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim