Question
Posted by: Ansie | 2010/02/15

Speed in suburb

I hope you can assist me? I am staying in a suburb in Brakpan, and unfortunately in a busy street. The residents in this street had previously apply to the council for speed humps in the street because the road users think it is a highway with very high speeds. The feedback from the council was that they cannot do anything because the road is a freeway in the suburb. The amount of noise that comes from the exhausts and because of the speed is very disturbing. What if a child or animal gets in the way of these speedsters? Isn' t there a possibility that one can force the municipality to do something - speed bumps or speed camera' s? Isn' t it a resident' s right to stay in an environment that is not disturbing? Please help?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Yes, according to the Consitution you have the right to an environment that is not harmful to human health or well-being (Section 24 (a)). The problem you describe has become a common one in many parts of residential South Africa i.e. dangerous traffic, particularly dangerous driving by taxis. You can complain to the Public Prosecutor Tel: 0800 11 20 40 http://www.publicprotector.org/ that your council is not responding in a helpful manner. You might need to engage the services of a lawyer to advise you on how to proceed however.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010/02/15

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert