Question
Posted by: dw | 2012-07-27

speech

Hi Doc. I am being treated for social phobia for the past 5 years. My anxiety seems to be under control with Valdoxane but for the past year I have found the following situation which is getting progressively worse. I cant talk properly, I cant express myself, I battle to find the correct words therefore talk in a round about fashion, have developed a lisp, sometimes my sentences are all mixed up and dont make sense to the listener, cant get my thoughts into verbal logic, dont use full sentences such as if I want to say " that is sore" , I will just say " sore" . I dont know if this is linked to my social phobia and medication or if it is lack of practice (I dont talk a lot) or if it is more serious like a tumour. What is my first point of call - should I go to my psychiatrist and go from there or seek other medical treatment? Thanks.

COuld very well be linked to social phobia, as well as lack of practice. A tumour would surely have declared itself in other unmistakable ways, as well, over this period of time. Do See amd discuss this with your psychiatrist, and I suspect that CBT style counselling could help you overcome the social anxiety disorder much better than drugs alone, and could also include some exercises and practice in speaking comfortasbly and fluently in front of others.

1