Question
Posted by: caroll | 2010-05-13

Speech

Good Morning Doctor,

I''m not sure if this question should be directed at you, but I heard that you''d be able to help me.

I hope you can help me. I believe I suffer from a speech problem and I would like to find out if I do have anything.

I speak very fast, and fall over my words, almost not completing my words. I almost sounds like I slur as well. This happens mostly in my native language, but whenever I speak english it sounds better, almost as if because I speak slower.

Is there any way I can exercise speaking to improve it?

Interesting. The problem should not be difficult to sort out, and there are Speech Therapists who should be able to help. It sounds as though the problem relates to you thinking so fast that your speech can hardly keep up with it, trying to speak as you think, rather than taking your time to choose your words. I have seen this often in intelligent people ( dummies don't think that fast !). And it fits that this problem is most obvious in your native born language, whereas in English, because you need to think a bit abou he right words, you slow down and may be speaking far more effectively.

2
Posted by: Carol | 2010-05-14

Hi Doc, thanks for the advice! Plus you''re really nice, friendly and actually pretty cool - not very often seen in doctors such as yourself!

Have a good weekend!

Reply to Carol