Question
Posted by: Wayne Smith | 2011/02/08

Specific diets for health problems

Hi Doc,

I have gout and liver function issues, what should I avoid eating?

What vitamins should I be taking?

Dear Wayne
If you have a number of health issues (gout and liver function in your case) then it is always advisable for you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for you based on your conditions, medications that you may be taking, as well as any additional factors such as overweight or raised blood fat levels. This is not something I can go for you over the Internet. In the meanwhile you can click on 'Die'nFood' at the top of this page and do a Search for an article I wrote recently on 'NEW DIETARY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOUT'. While you are on the Diet 'n Food site also Search for 'Diet in Gallbladder Disease' for tips on how to lower your fat intake.
Please consult a dietitian ASAP.

1

Dear Wayne
Please consult a dietitian ASAP.