Question
Posted by: D' s | 2009/11/12

Special K diet for HIV+ppl

Special K diet for HIV+ppl-Please let me know if this is recomemded for an hiv+prsn ,or what diet routine should a + person take,the side effects from the medication is getting out of shape and killing my confidence slowly...please advise willing to try what will work and keen to go to GYM 5 days a week,i just need some diet plan to assist like pills,herbs etc

Dear D's
None of the standard slimming diets are indicated for patients with HIV. I understand that the medication you are taking may cause weight gain esp in the abdominal area. If possible, please consult a clinical dietitian because you actually need a specific diet prescription that is based on low-fat, low-GI foods and also takes your medication and HIV into account. This is not something I can do for you over the Internet. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. Do NOT use slimming pills or herbs, etc because they can interfere with your antiretroviral medication. Rather see the dietitian, use the slimming diet she/he will prescribe and do exercise at the gym under the supervision of a biokineticist who will ensure that you do not overdo things (this would also do more harm than good).

1

Dear D's