Question
Posted by: dw | 2010/01/13

Special Assignment last night

Hi. Did anyone watch Special Assignment last night? It was such an eye opener. These hardened criminals age 14 - 20 are trying to be rehabilitated however the places where they come from were so abusive and poverty stricken that by them going back there will just reinforce their criminal behaviour. How does SA rectifiy this problem??? If we want crime in this country to decrease we need to do something about family violence in the townships!!

I doubt whether any intervention focussed on jusrt one aspect of these problems will succeed, rather than a far more comprehensive set of efforts, including a national effort to regain a sense of moral and ethical values in all communities, including a stronger sense of self-worth and of respect for other people's rights and properties, rather than the present sense of moral vacuum in which corruption and crime by officials and suchlike is rarely punished or clearly and unambiguously condemned. Poverty does NOT cause crime - most poor people are honest and do not resort to crime, and many criminals are rather well-off

2
Posted by: Jess | 2010/01/13

Surely . . . poverty does not cause crime????? Get real. Of Course poverty causes crime especially with the children. You grow up and learn and do what your parents and society teach you so yes there are a lot of poor people who do not commit any crime but let me assure you that these people had very morally strong parents and people around to teach them this. I' m sorry I did not watch special assignment last night but I can get what you' re saying. Some grown ups believe in karma and others in the Lord which at the end of the day comes down to how they were raised. If you had no mother or father who morally taught you how to be a good person you are not going to think twice when the oppertunity presents itself to make life better for you. Then you get sent to a rehabilitation centre where they tell you its not right and try to cram 14-20 years of upbringing lessons into your soul. You have new meaning and a new zest for life so you go out trying to make a real life for yourself however there is no support again and nothing around you to prove this lifestyle - you only get the bad and the ugle, the voilence and the wrong - OF COURSE YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE!!!!! That' s like saying a recovering alcohollic should be able to cope working in a bottle store and a rehabilitated phedafile is fine working in a creche. Get real and stop critizising these children rather try and help them as there were nobody to help them earlier.

Reply to Jess