Question
Posted by: Bronwynn | 2009-09-08

Speaking faster, heart beating and breathing irregular

CS, when i am on the phone to someone, either to explain something or am arguing etc. I start speaking fast, have heart palpitations at times and feel a nervous knot in my stomach. At first I thought it was because I was young and immature, but i am 36 now and still have these symptoms. When asked a question or confronted by someone, i cant seem to think straight and forget information instantly and become defensive and start arguing and making statements I think relates to the original question.
I have never seen other people do this.

Sounds like anxiety, maybe tied specifically to these phone-based situations, and maybe a variant of social anxiety disorder. Cbt ounselling should be able to clear this up for you within a relatively short period of time.

1
Posted by: Liza | 2009-09-08

Seems like you get very anxious in these circumstances, and it can become a vicious circle. You know you' re going to get anxious when faced with a situation, then the anxiety starts and the heart palpitations and quick breathing in turn cause you to become even more anxious. The best solution is to see a psychologist for some Cognitive Behaviour Therapy(CBT). It works much better than just taking tranquillizers for panic which can become addictive.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza