Posted by: lulu | 2010-02-04

I have to get a cat and a dog spayed and can' t afford it. My vet quoted me R1000 each. Someone suggested I go to the SPCA. How does it work?

Deat Lulu

Phone them and ask

Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-02-06

The SPCA vet here is not so good as the PDSA vet hence I am advising the PDSA. Haven' t a clue what the others are about. As far as I am concerned when I get a dog from the SPCA or other welfare agencies I always get my vet to give them a through check-up. I do the same when a cat pitches up (they seem to gravitate to my cat colony) and after I have put up posters and pamphlets in neighbouring houses, they usually stay but am petrified they might carry some disease and then my animals will suffer so off to the vet we go. I do a lot of welfare for the PDSA and when I have a strange cat I always use the PDSA vet and have never had any trouble. In event these vets are supposed to be used for poorer people of the community and not for people who can afford a vet. If you can' t afford a vet, you can' t afford to get a pet. Sorry but true.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Michelle | 2010-02-05

Phone the nearest SPCA and make an appointment. I would suggest going to the SPCA rather than the PDSA. I adopted a Bulldog from FORA with a terrible eye infection in only one eye. Got eye drops for him but it didn' t help and took him to the PDSA. The " vet"  if you can call him that, did not eve listen to my explanation. He took a piece of cotton wool wipped out both eyes with the same cotton wool, inejcted him with something and said I must come back Thursday, but he doesn' t guarantee that the eye will get better he said. The injection made him soooo sick (vomit). Needless to say the eye did not get better, had to take him to a proper VET.

Reply to Michelle
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-02-04

Lulu, Vrye Denker is talking a lot of rot. You can go to the SPCA but you have to make an appointment before the vet sterlises your dog. And you do pay but not as much.

The PDSA (Peoples Dispensary for Sick Animals) is another option. They ask what your income is (bring your payslip as a lot of quite rich people do this as well) and then charge you accordingly. It might be R200-R300 for the dog (depends on size of dog) and R150 upwards for the cat.

I have never come across a vet that charges R1000 for spaying either a cat or dog. Dog might be anything upwards from R600 and cat R500 but R1000 seems a bit high to me.

Good luck.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Vrye Denker | 2010-02-04

The SPCA is like a government hospital for pets. You go there, sit on uncomfortable chairs for a while and then when the vet sees you, tell him you need to have your pets neutered/spayed. He then performs the procedures and charges you much less than a private vet. Easy. I would suggest phoning ahead and making sure they know what you want done beforehand so that the process is as quick and painless as possible.

Reply to Vrye Denker
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-02-04

Deat Lulu

Phone them and ask

Reply to Cybervet