Posted by: Nic | 2011-04-26

Spaying and mammary cancer

This isn''t a question but rather a bit of information that may educate owners with puppies considering the number of posts lately about cysts on mammary glands.
Spaying a bitch before she comes on heat for the first time reduces the risk of breast cancer by 98% - that''s huge!
This is obviously over and above all of the other benefits that spaying has for your dogs - male and female.
Bitches can safely be spayed from six months onwards and can also come on heat from the same age.
If you think that putting a puppy through an operation is cruel - both my puppies were spayed at 6 months and have experienced no adverse effects. Puppies also heal faster than older dogs and are less likely to have complications associated with surgery.

Hi Nic,

The veterinary literature highlight’s not just the advantages but also the disadvantages to having a bitch spayed. My role as a Veterinary Surgeon is to discuss these matters with my clientele and from there decide what the best option is for their pet.
The advantages are as follows:
a) Significantly reduced the risk of mammary tumours if conducted at a young age (6mths – 2.5 years of age).
b) Reduces the incidence of intrauterine infections (pyometra).
c) Reduced the incidence of perianal fistulas.
d) Reduces the risk of uterine, ovarian tumours e.t.c.
e) Prevents misalliance and phantom pregnancies.
The disadvantages are as follows:
a) Anaesthetic and surgical complications.
b) Increases the risk of obesity.
c) Increases the risk of hypothyroidism.
d) Can increase the risk of osteoscaroma in large breeds if conducted before 1 year of age.
e) Increased risk of urinary infections.
f) Increase the risk of splenic haemangiosarcoma and cardiac haemangiosarcoma.
g) Higher risk of developing cranial cruciate ligament rupture.

Dr Campbell

Posted by: Chill | 2011-04-26

Exactly right. People forget about the actual health benefits of spaying, and the same goes for neutering males.

You only need to deal with the death of a dog from this kind of cancer once to be convinced.

Reply to Chill