Question
Posted by: R | 2011/04/15

Spaying

HI Scot,
Our Jack Russel is 5, and had her first litter last year. Now she is on heat again. She goes on heat at exactly the same time 2 times a year. Once her menstruals (very visible) are over, she is obviously ready for mating.
We don''t have a male, and kept one female pup of hers. Now she seems to try to climb her pup, and in the past would do the most naughty and silly things. Will spaying her stop her from being on heat completely? I actually feel sorry that she has no one and she has to go through this twice a year. Her pup was on heat about a month ago, and seemed better behaved, but the mum is getting worse each time.

Thanks!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi R, what she is doing is just natural behaviour and will stop once she has been spade, especially if she never exhibits this behaviour when not on heat. I personally, am very much in favour of all domnestic dogs being spade. It really is the responsible thing for an owner to do and not only stops unwanted pups but stops any genetic problems being passed down. From a health point of view it is much better for a dog, prevents ovarian cancers, phantom pregnancy etc.
You may find that your vet will want to do some blood work on her and give a full physical before spaying as she is an older dog. Just have a word with your vet so that you know what will be involved and when the time is right to do this - either before or after her heat period. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/04/15

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert